Thursday, May 8, 2008

"Back Tuva Future"

Hello, everyone. Apparently, my mention of the wondrous Tuvan throat singing on my profile has aroused curiosity. Since several people have requested that I post a sample of this fabulous singing on my blog, I have tracked down a video of a Tuvan throat singer, Kongar-ol Ondar, who appeared on The David Letterman Show.




The Back Tuva Future cd first introduced me to this fascinating art form after I stumbled upon it in the library. I liked it so much I purchased the cd for myself to the annoyance of my sister, who for some odd reason does not share my passion. Perhaps I'm just weird, but when I listen to Ondar sing, I can't help but feel that he is celebrating life. His music invites me to partake of the joy he finds in the world around him.

Anyway, whether you like it or not, you have to admit it's pretty interesting. After all, I bet you can't sing four notes at the same time! I sure can't, that's for sure.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Definitely interesting. You really need to post video of you doing it, because that would be better. :)

I was somewhat . . . I don't know, not at ease, during that clip. Just not a relaxing type of thing. I had a roommate that would talk in her throat and it was eerie.

Anonymous said...

I can't even sing one note at the same time, much less four. Very interesting. :)

Jessica said...

Like I said...painful. The video traumatized Henry. It scared him so much that he's still hiding under Mom's bed. Okay, so that's not true. But I seriously considered hiding under Mom's bed to get away from it, then realized that it would be easier to just turn off the volume.

Claire said...

Man, this art form is SO misunderstood.